Wednesday, May 13, 2009

new recipe

I have been getting Woman's Day magazine and I have no idea why. I usually flip through it, it's a tad old for me. But in this past issue they had some slow cooker recipes. We recieved a slow cooker for a wedding presend and I have yet to use it. I don't really know any good recipes, but since I'm getting yhis magazine I might as well get some use out of it, and use my crock pot at the same time!
And it just so happens that I'm a fool for barbeque pork sandwiches, which was one of the recipes! I wasn't too crazy about the sauce, I can't really put my finger on what was wrong with the flavor, but I think it turned out pretty good for my first venture with the crock pot! :) And instead of making them sliders and using small rolls, I just used regular sized buns. I also left out the scallions, maybe that was the missing ingredient... Here is the recipe:
South Carolina BBQ Pork Sliders

Serves 8 
Active: 15 min 
Total: about 8 to 10 hr on low

1 slow-cooker liner (we used Reynolds)
1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp each paprika and dried minced onion
1 1⁄2 tsp salt-free chili powder
1 1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
1⁄2 tsp allspice (optional)
4 lb bone-in pork shoulder roast
3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
1⁄2 cup sliced scallions
24 small dinner rolls, split
Accompaniments: hot pepper sauce, coleslaw

1. Line a 4-qt or larger slow-cooker with liner. Mix 1 Tbsp of the brown sugar, the paprika, minced onion, chili powder, salt, garlic powder and allspice. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp into bottom of slow-cooker. Rub remaining mixture over pork. Add vinegar and remaining brown sugar to slow-cooker; stir to mix. Add pork.
2. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours until pork is fork-tender. Remove pork to cutting board and pull into shreds. Return to slow-cooker; add scallions and toss to coat.
3. Put about 1⁄4 cup onto each bun bottom. Top with bun tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment