Thursday, April 22, 2010

How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?

I recently stumbled on this website, naturallycurly.com. It's all for curly people! While there, I read about a book called Curly Girl about maintaining curly hair. The method is referred to as the "no-poo" method, meaning "no shampoo." Now I know what you're thinking...."eww gross! no shampoo?! really, Ashley?" That's exactly what you're thinking, don't lie!

Let me rewind and say that I have had curly hair for most of my life, and I never really knew how to maintain it. Most people don't have curly hair, or don't have hair like mine, so they don't know that proper way to take care of it. I spent my life brushing with the wrong brush, using too many styling tools, washing my hair every day because it was frizzy the next day, touching it too much, and using the wrong styling products. Over the last couple years, I've learned to appreciate my hair and found that if you love your hair, it will love you back!
I've stopped washing my hair every day, threw away anything that resembled a brush, bought a wide-toothed comb, discovered leave in conditioner, and have developed a routine that works for us (me and my hair). I try to stay away from heating products because I feel that they destroy hair, though I have a straightener I use maybe once every 2 months. It is just very hard to keep frizz down and my hair just goes wherever it wants every day. It's crazy unruly!

Anyway, the curly girl method is built on the idea that shampoos contain sulphates and silicones that rob hair of moisture (something curly hair doesn't have a lot of), and that curly hair is so porous that shampoo doesn't really rinse out. So, instead, you're supposed to cut out shampoo entirely and only use conditioner the way you would shampoo. My kind of hair can go for a few day's without being washed anyway, it's actually better for it.

So, I gave my hair a final washing with a sulphate-free shampoo, as per the instructions, and a couple days later I washed with just conditioner. I didn't notice much of a difference, and I know it will take a few weeks for my hair to get used to it. What I did notice is that my hair kind of felt the way it does when I don't rinse conditioner out all the way, like there's a greasy build up. Maybe I'm not supposed to use a leave in conditioner? Is it conditioner overkill? I know it will take a while to find what works for me. I feel really good about the changes I'm making in this area :) I hope it works out well for me!

Let me just close by saying that I'm not vain about my looks or anything, I don't want anyone to think that. I just feel like I have something about me that is different from a lot of people, and I have to maintain that the best I can. Also I want to look good. Also this is my blog!

ok that was mean-sounding, sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment